Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Response to my previous posting on the baylisa mail list. NOTE: Company name change to protect the innocent ;)

I was laid off at XXX in December 2000. There were a couple of people who had relocated to work at XXX and had been there 2 weeks when they got laid off.

It cuts both ways. Employers really don't give a f@#% about us. All they care about is getting the job done for as little as possible. It's all a "business decision". Nobody should be surprised when we, as individuals, make a "business decision". It should never be personal...

I think his anger is understandable. My response is as follows:

Agreed. I don't disagree with you at all. The lack of any common trust between and employer and employee is, I think, hurting the whole workforce. I do have to agree that it was the employers in the early '90's who started this with massive lay-offs to meet a bottom line. Unfortunately, the years of doing a good job, keeping the job, and retiring with the gold watch appear to be mostly over.

Regardless, it does make this hard for both sides when everything basically becomes a "business decision." Both sides are forced to simply feel things out and play the odds. I HATE playing games but feel like everything has turned into one.

Good point.

No comments: